Sunday, September 05, 2004

Group Outing

We're pretty much moved into the new apartment. We're still short a refrigerator, kitchen table and chairs, and some other miscellanous stuff, but for now it works. Kristy and I cleaned the place down pretty well yesterday while Brad was teaching, so the bathrooms are usable and the cupboards are dust-free. We also stocked up on water and noodles because there's a new typhoon headed this way. Usually they go farther north, but a cold front is pushing this one south so as the pass directly over Taipei, meaning we should feel it too in Taichung. Flashlights, radio, we've got the works.

I tried kumquat juice for the first time yesterday and was instantly hooked. There are amazing fresh fruit stands everywhere that will juice the fruit and add honey for you. The kumquat juice is almost like lemonade...almost...While on the kumquat tip the five of us (Brad, Kristy, Brian, Susan, and I) have been walking around today looking at cell phones and trying to hunt down the internet cafe. One down, one to go. On the way, we saw this really nice nursery and oohed and aahhhed at all the beautiful plants we can't quirte afford right now. They sold fruit trees and herbs too, and when the owner saw us looking, he ran over and told us to try some. Kristy tasted the mint and he pulled kumquats off the tree for us to eat. We tried to peel them, but he gestured to put the whole thing in our mouths. We paused and looked at each other to see if we should, and then took the plunge. Although *really* tart at first when the juice hit the tongue, the peel was actually sweet and it ended up being really good.

Random Embarrassing Moment: Brad, Kristy, and I stopped at a small stand behind our apartment complex that just gives you a bowl and you add whichever noodles, tea eggs, vegetables, meats, and/or tofus you want and then they fry them up with spices for you. While Brad ran off to get more crack, uh, I mean kumquat juice, we ordered our food. As I was trying to pay, I picked my wallet out from the depths of my messenger bag. Sadly, that's not all the flopped out of the bag. Through the air flew a black condom I had tucked into my bag months ago, landing on the ground next to Kristy. There was a young woman standing next to her and when I glanced down to see what had fallen, I gave a little yelp and then kicked it under the stand. I did this hoping no one had seen, of course, but since I made the noise and the quick motion, both Kristy and the woman looked over. Kristy started laughing and the woman just looked away. Luckily, it was night and not that many people were around. Phew.

1 Comments:

Blogger Meredith said...

Yay, it's letting me post! (It hasn't been, lately :( ) Kumquats are soooo gooood. A friend of mine in highschool grew them in his backyard. They're perfect to pop in your mouth on a hot day. I think Kroger (or maybe the Farmer Jack?) carries the juice. I'll have to try it. (After the pomegranate juice debacle, I got gun-shy on new juices. Pomegranate juice tastes like ass. Dirty, dirty ass.)

9:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home