Wednesday, November 03, 2004

Low Blows

Yesterday was the worst day I've had in a long time. After hearing for the first time about the challengers, I was furious. Absolutely seething. I showed up to work and once I was in the teacher's room I let loose the fury I felt. I started yelling about those fucking bastards and what not, before I realized that kids were in hearing range. Oops. I calmed down, but was a horrible teacher because I just wasn't present in class.

Later, I went to the bar to escape my text-message gloating roommate who let me know that Bush was ahead. While there, a woman with blue hair started screaming "Fuck Bush!" and then I knew. I still held out hope but I went home with my head hanging low. I met with Brian and Susan, my fellow non-Bushie friends and we commiserated. This left me feeling worse, and when Matt called with the news that Kerry had conceded before hearing from Ohio, I was reduced to tears. All that work and nothing has changed. Bush can now sit tight in his knowledge that the American Public will in fact take being lied to consistently. We don't mind that your policies are disatrous to the environment, public health and safety, and even our civil liberties. So now that you've got control of the house, the senate, and the majority of governorships go ahead and continue with more of the horrible policies you seem to enjoy so much. And remember, to admit you have made a mistake ever is to admit complete defeat so instead lie, change your story and just generally be evasive, because Americans want a leader who is always right, even when he's wrong.

This morning I felt so low that I actually wanted to return to the U.S. Even though it's probably better to stay here (as Rob pointed out, it's not on the axis of evil), I just really wanted the comfort that I'm not getting here. Not many of the expats seem concerned with the election, I've met far too many Americans that didn't vote (my girl--she a leftie at heart, but her conservo xtian upbringing has her confused--roommate included) and the others seem only to sort of think that Bush sucks, but can't quite pinpoint way or just don't seem to care.

I will say that the efforts of MoveOn.org were amazing and they won two states simply by getting people out to vote. That at least offers a glimmer of hope, something I wasn't sure I could see this morning. May the supreme court justices hang in there!

4 Comments:

Blogger Robert W. Gehl said...

Cassie - Are countries "on" the Axis or "in" them? I understand the geometric concept of the axis ("a line around which a sphere rotates"), but does Bush use the political term ("a group of two or more nations that align themselves militarily"). Or, does Bush use the term in a third sense ("an arbitrary collection of entities that have SWEET, SWEET OIL")?

5:21 PM  
Blogger CJ said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

7:27 PM  
Blogger CJ said...

Thanks guys! The combination of Bush re-elected and the passing of the anti-gay marriage laws seriously had me down. If any of you have any ideas about politically charged things I can do to help ease my mind and possibly affect change while I'm in Taiwan, please let me know. I need to do something!

And Rob, my guess is you can go either way with "on" or "in". Bush doesn't "do nuance." The truly important word is "evil" because we know that all those countries are, simply put, evil. The fact that they have the sweet, sweet oil is only a by-product, a coincidence. Don't question the emper...uh, president, or I'll turn you in!

7:59 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

Cassie, I don't know quite what to say other than I'm sorry. Matthew & I watched CNN coverage from 7pm-2am, and then watched in sadness at Kerry conceded. I, like you, have had so many mixed emotions - sadness, anger, fear, etc. I *wish* I could just say - I'm a Canadian citizen, back living in Canada so what do I care? But, it isn't that simple because you and other Americans are my friends and I feel for you, Matthew's family is still in the US, and US politics affect everyone globally.

There are some places of comfort though (MichaelMoore.com has 17 reasons not to lose hope!). I went to hear Cynthia Enloe talk on Thursday. She gave me hope during the Abu Ghraib fiasco, and Thurs. night was no different. Essentially, she said that we must think of empires not as coherent and complete, but always in crisis as they try to re-make and solidify themselves. We need to look at crisis as positive because it allows for resistance. Perhaps the "country divided" is that moment of crisis, perhaps the increasing fissure amongst Republicans (straight-up capitalists vs. conservative Christians) is a moment of crisis, perhaps the spirit of activism that swelled to get G.w. out is a moment of crisis?? Enloe said we can't hide under a rock no matter how much we want to.
I have to think she's right - it's my coping mechanism :) Viva la resistance!

4:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home