Friday, November 12, 2004

Taiwanese Hate Mail

For the second time in my life I received a piece of hate mail. As many of us know, the first piece I recieved was left on my car in Windsor, Ontario and was signed "Love, Canada." Apparently, in the few hours I was in Windsor, the Canadian government called an emergency summit to dicuss the nuisance that is Cassandra Jones. In that time, a letter was issued, handwritten, highlighted to place emphasis on the fact that the letter was intended for a "poorly educated American", and signed by a representative of the summit. They must have run out of the official letterhead or something because it was on a regular piece of notebook paper. Oh well.

The second piece of hate mail I received was today in class. I opened a student's homework notebook to grade the homework and saw a note she had written the CT and I. She had just gotten her quiz grade back and took the opportunity to vent. "Do you know why me got a 76 grads on quiz? I'm angry. I should have 100 or 90~99! bad Hess! I hate! Kill! Kill! Kill! Hate! Hate! Hate! Forever Hate!" This needless to say is not the norm in a culture that values balance and harmony. She's an odd bird, this one, but at least this letter isn't expressing the mutual hatred of an entire country! Normally, the students would make up a quiz under 80, but the regular CT is on vacation and the sub isn't havin' any of her business and so is refusing to give her a retake. This CT, who, by the way, is one of the nicest women I've ever met, is a complete badass in the classroom! Last week, she made one of the students write the homework eight times! Homework times two is a big punishment, and HW x8 is almost unheard of!! Ah, happy students!

1 Comments:

Blogger Meredith said...

Whoa! Can you imagine what would happen if an American student wrote a note like that to their teacher? They'd be arrested and Dr. Phil would do a special on how you're going to be a serial killer. (No, really. Did you miss the prime time special where he called this couple's 7-year-old a serial killer candidate? Fun.)

10:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home