Wednesday, November 24, 2004

Taiwanese Turkey Day

Susan, Brian, and I decided to go out for a quick adventure before work this afternoon and made our way towards the train station. It's the oldest part of town, so most of the buildings are run down, but there's always something interesting going on. We found a little street that was lined with red lanterns and little shops tucked back into fishy-smelling and dark alleyways. E found an alley that was completely devoted to hardware...and poultry (among other meat vendors). We saw tons of little shops with power tools, lengths of chain, fencing, and then suddenly crates full of live poultry. Roosters, chickens, pigeons, smaller birds, and our find of the day: Turkeys! We asked how much the turkeys were and for 1000 NT, we can buy ourselves a live turkey that they will kill and pluck for us. I'm all for it, but Susan and Brian looked a little unsure. I'm going to try to talk them into it. When I mentioned the idea to Kristy later, she looked pained. I think the idea that the turkey will be killed especially for us is a little unnerving. When you are at the grocery store, you buy it frozen. You don't see the turkey walking around and the butcher doesn't have you specifically in mind when he prepares the bird. Guilt-free meat consumption I guess. Ideally, the bird would be free-range, but there's hardly enough space for the people here, let alone free-range poultry, so I'll take what I can get.

In any case, although tommorow is Thanksgiving, we wouldn't be celebrating until this weekend, or, most likely, next weekend. I think it'd be fun to give it a go!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

(eric) yum!

11:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home